Sam Houston State University
Sam Houston Normal Institute was created in 1879 by an act of the Texas Legislature “to elevate the standard of education throughout the State, by giving through instruction and special training to as many as possible to our present and future teachers.” The law detailed that two students from each senatorial district and six from the state at large would be admitted upon competitive examination whose tuition, board, lodging and laundry would be paid by the state. In return these students obligated themselves to teach in public schools of their respective districts for as many years as they received such aid. This policy lasted until 1910. Huntsville was chosen as the location on the site formerly occupied by Austin College. The name changed to Sam Houston State Teachers College in 1923, again in 1965 to Sam Houston State College and then again in 1969 to Sam Houston State University.