Texas Christian University was founded in 1873 in Thorp Spring, Texas as Add-Ran Male and Female College by brothers Addison and Randolph Clark. The school was taken over by the Christian Church in 1889 and named change to Add-Ran Christian University. Once the school moved to Waco in 1895, the name changed again to Texas Christian University in 1902. A fire destroyed the main building in 1910 so they decided to move to Fort Worth after the city offered the school a fifty-acre campus and $200,000 to relocate. The school is still associated with an ongoing covenant with the Christian Church.
Information courtesy of TCU – Texas Christian University and the Texas State Historical Association. Photo below is of the original building at AddRan Male and Female College courtesy of the Photo Collection at the TCU Library.